Article 1 - Name
The name of this organization shall be The Quilters Guild of East Texas (QGET).
Article 2 - Purposes
The purpose of this organization shall be to preserve the heritage of quilting, to assist members in
developing a high quality of excellence in quilting, to be a source of information and inspiration, and to
provide a gathering of people with a common interest.
Article 3 - Membership
Section A: A member is one who pays annual dues. The Guild does not discriminate with regard to
race, color, creed, age, sex, or national origin.
Section B: The Executive Board shall determine the amount of dues for the following year at the April
meeting, and it shall be published in the May newsletter. After the Quilt Show dues shall be one half
the annual rate.
1. Dues are payable in July and delinquent after the September meeting.
2. Failure to pay dues shall be considered a withdrawal from the Guild.
Section C - Small Group Formation:
1. A member may belong to one or more small groups, dependent on size limitations of particular
2. A new member group shall be organized each year for the purpose of orientation and education.
These members may filter into existing small groups within a year, or form new small groups.
3. The group leader communicates openings in the group to the Beekeeper.
4. Small group leaders may attend executive committee meetings but do not have a vote.
Section D: A non-member may attend a maximum of two general meetings, after which time they
must join the QGET to continue attendance. W hen the meetings include a guest speaker, guests will
pay a fee to be determined by the Executive Committee.
Section E - Life Members: The Executive Board may select QGET members for Life Membership in
the QGET and may accept suggestions from the general membership. Those selected will be
presented a Life Membership award at the September meeting. No dues will be charged from that
point forward. This award is for exemplary service and may not be presented annually.
Article 4 - Executive Board
Section A: The Executive Board shall consist of the elected officers and some standing committee
chairs. Special committee chairs may be invited.
Section B: The Executive Board shall handle the regular business of the organization.
Section C: Meetings will be held once a month unless determined not to be needed. The date and
time of these meetings will be set at the convenience of the committee members.
1. The president or any two members or the Executive Board may call additional meetings as
2. The secretary will advise any absent committee members of business discussed.
Section D: Each outgoing Executive Board member must leave in the treasury a sum equal to the
unpaid bills or obligations that they incurred and for which the Guild is responsible.
Article 5 - Officers and Duties
Section A: The elected officers shall be President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-President,
Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section B - Duties of the President:
1. To preside at all general meetings, executive committee meetings, and any special meetings.
2. To serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee.
3. To appoint the chairmen of standing and special committees. The Quilt Show Chair shall be
appointed prior to date of the Quilt Show preceding the show she will chair.
4. To receive and summarize annual reports of all officers and committee chairmen. These
summaries shall be presented at the discretion of the president.
5. To sign all membership cards with the treasurer.
6. To call special meetings when necessary.
7. To sign all checks in the absence of the treasurer.
8. To conduct the general correspondence of the Guild.
9. Reserve meeting space when necessary.
Section C - Duties of the First Vice-President shall be:
1. To preside in the absence of, or at the request of, the president at general and executive
2. To provide a monthly program for newcomers to aid them in quilting basics when necessary and
orient them to the QGET.
Section D - Duties of the Second Vice-President shall be:
1. To preside at meetings in absence of the president and first vice-president.
2. To serve as program chairman for the Guild's general meetings. She shall be responsible for
planning future programs for the Guild.
3. To promote workshops through Guild announcements and newsletter articles.
4. To take reservations for workshops when necessary.
5. To reserve facilities for workshops.
6. To arrange transportation and accommodations for speakers, assist with speaker item sales, and
assist speaker at workshops.
Section E - Duties of the Secretary shall be:
1. To record the minutes of all general, executive, and special meetings.
2. To keep all documents.
3. To send copies of minutes to the Executive Board within 14 days after a meeting of the
4. To send copies of the General Meeting to the Executive Board and newsletter editor within 7
days after a meeting of the General Meeting.
5. To advise any absent Executive Board members of minutes of previous business meetings.
Section F - Duties of the Treasurer shall be:
1. To have charge of all the funds of the Guild.
2. To sign checks for authorized disbursements.
3. To prepare a budget and present it to the Executive Board at the August meeting.
4. To report at all Executive Board meetings.
5. To report at all QGET business meetings.
6. To obtain bank forms for incoming officers.
7. To prepare annual report for the membership to be printed in the newsletter, and a condensed
report to be given at annual meetings.
Article 6 - Nominations, Elections, and Vacancies
Section A - Nominations:
1. The Nominating Committee shall consist of a chairman and five members of the Guild, two of
which must have no less than five years of active membership. Any Guild member may submit a
name to Nominating Committee after obtaining the permission of the person whose name will be
submitted. The immediate past president shall serve on the Nominating Committee in an
2. The Nominating Committee shall present a slate of officers at the July meeting.
3. Nominations may be made from the floor at the July meeting providing the consent of the
nominee has been secured in advance.
Section B - Elections:
1. The President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be
elected at the August meeting for a term of one year.
2. A majority vote of members present elects each officer.
3. Officers are installed at the September meeting.
4. An elected officer may hold only one office at a time. Standing committee chairmen may hold a
maximum of two offices at one time.
5. No member shall be eligible to serve more that two consecutive terms in the same office,
excluding honorary chairmen and the treasurer.
6. Any part of a term in excess of six months shall be considered a full term.
Section C - Vacancies: Vacancies in office shall be filled by a vote of the executive committee and
approved by the general membership.
Article 7 - Standing Positions and Committees
Standing positions shall be Advisory, Beekeeper, Historian, Hospitality, Library, Membership,
Newsletter, Nominating, Publicity, Quilt Show and Sunshine.
Section A - Advisory Committee: Past Presidents shall serve as a resource to the Executive Board as
Section B - Beekeeper:
1. Shall assist in placing members in small groups.
2. Shall work with the first vice-president in placing new members in small groups.
3. Shall monitor the need for group formation and assist in that formation when necessary.
Section C - H istorian: Shall keep scrapbooks of newspaper articles, photos, programs and assorted
memorabilia of the Guild's activities and present to Guild Library and QGET president annually.
Section D - Hospitality:
1. Be responsible for preparing coffee and monitoring supply needs.
2. Aid those preparing, serving, and cleaning up after refreshments at the meetings.
Section E - Library:
1. Committee chair shall serve on the Executive Board and have voting rights.
2. Be in charge of Guild lending resources.
3. Will keep all checkout records up-to-date.
4. Will acknowledge all additions and donations to Guild library in the newsletter.
5. Operate within the budget provided.
Section F - Membership:
1. Committee chair shall serve on the Executive Board and have voting rights.
2. Keep up-to-date record of members including name, address, phone, and interests.
3. Keep newsletter editor, treasurer, and first vice-president informed of the new members.
4. Provide membership renewal notice and renewal form in the QGET Newsletter.
Section G - Newsletter Editor:
1. Shall serve on the Executive Board and have voting rights.
2. Publish and mail the Guild news monthly, notifying members of general meetings and small
group meetings. Compile material sent to the editor by QGET officers, committee chairs, and
3. Note membership changes monthly in the newsletter.
4. Recruit help as needed to perform this task.
Section H - Publicity:
1. Committee Chair shall serve on the Executive Board and have voting rights.
2. Prepare publicity for Guild-sponsored activities.
3. Keep a file of possible publicity sources with the names of key people and deadlines.
4. Send to as many news media as appropriate each month.
Section I - Quilt Show Chair:
1. Shall have responsibility for the organization of the annual quilt show.
2. Shall be a member of the Executive Board and have voting rights.
3. A committee shall be appointed by the chair from members of the Guild who express interest in
this activity and possess the talents necessary to perform such tasks.
4. The Committee chair shall keep a file of previous shows and assorted materials relating to the
5. With approval of the Executive Board, the Chair shall secure and contract for the use of exhibit
hall one year or more in advance.
6. Finances shall be handled through the treasurer under the Quilt Show funds provided.
7. Quilt Show chair will work with the Executive Board.
Section J - Sunshine:
1. A member shall keep up with noteworthy events in the lives of QGET members and make
appropriate responses on behalf of the Guild.
2. Submit to the newsletter editor any appropriate notices about Guild members.
Article 8 - Parliamentary Authority
Roberts' Rules of Order Revised shall govern the proceedings in all cases not provided in these By-
Laws. A Parliamentarian shall be appointed to assist the QGET in this area. She shall attend the
Executive Board meetings and have a vote on the Board.
Article 9 - Quorum
A quorum shall consist of a majority of those in attendance at a regularly scheduled meeting of the
Guild. Approval of a majority of the voting members attending a meeting is required to transact
Article 10 - By-Laws
Section A - Distribution: A copy of the By-laws shall be printed in the membership directory. A copy
of the QGET By-laws shall be available in the library of the Guild. A copy of the By-Laws will be
posted on the QGET website.
Section B - Amendments: The By-Laws may be amended or revised at a regularly scheduled meeting
by two-thirds of the attending members provided that a copy of the amendment(s) or revisions(s) has
been furnished to each member at least thirty days prior to the meeting. This may be done by
publication in the newsletter.
Article 11 - D issolution
In the event of the dissolution of The Quilters’ Guild of East Texas, all assets shall be assigned to an
organization chosen by the membership in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue
Code. Revised January 2007